Employees of foreign nationality - Work Permit A

The following information, conditions and legislation were applicable for applies until December 31st, 2018 and thus is everything unusable from January 1st, 2019!
The new legislation, and the associated new conditions and documents, you can find it here: Naar werknemers buitenlandse nationaliteit (vanaf 2019)



Work permit A gives you permission to exercise any kind of profession in salaried employment with any employer for a period of unlimited duration. The issue of a work permit A is subject to very strict conditions. They may only be granted to certain categories of foreign workers who have already worked for several years in Belgium with a work permit B.

The work permit A is valid and can be used for employment in any Region of the country. Someone who lives in the Flemish Region and who obtained a work permit A from the labour migration service of the Flemish Region, can work in the Flemish, Walloon and Brussels Capital Region.

Your work permit A is issued for an indefinite period. You can use it for all professions exercised in salaried employment. So you can work legally in any job in salaried employment, whether full-time, part-time, seasonal work etc. You can also register with public or private employment agencies - there are no additional formalities necessary.

More info:

 Work Permit A - Definition

 Work Permit A - How to apply

 Work Permit A - Legislation

Employees of foreign nationality

Back to homepage Employees of foreign nationality